My Favorite Supplies - What You'll Need for This Course
Simply Florals Supplies Links
- Pinterest Botanical Inspiration Board
- Watercolor Paper: Canson XL Cold Press size 9x12 is a great option. Don't go under 140 lb/300g (you will see this info on the bottom of the cover). The 9x12 is a great size because you can cut it in half to make two cards or just leave as is for a nice sized piece of art. When you are ready to move on to a more expensive, higher quality paper, I highly suggest Arches Cold Press.
- Paint: I suggest the Winsor & Newton Cotman Sketchers Pocket Box set. You'll also want to pick up a small tube of Winsor & Newton Permanent Rose.
- Brushes: You will want Round Brushes. Get a size 1, 4, 6, and 10 if you can. If you can only afford one at this point, size 6 is a great choice. I like the Winsor & Newton brand brushes but most store brands are fine too. Just don't buy a cheap craft brush.
- Kneaded Eraser: This looks like a little grey square in clear wrapping. It will be by the art pencils. Prismacolor or Faber-Castell are both great brands.
- Plastic Board: I just bought a corrugated plastic poster board and cut it down. You can find these in the poster board section of your store. You can also just tape your paper down to your working table if you need to. And just FYI, I only ever tape down my larger paintings that have a lot of water. If you are using a 140lb paper like I mentioned above, and just doing a card or small painting, I wouldn't worry about taping it down.
- Tape: I use painters tape because I've found that masking tape can sometimes tear my paper if I leave it on too long. Scotch makes this in multiple colors.
- Light Board: My favorite light board is my window but if I'm working at night, I either use the Softbox app on my iPad or my trusty TickTek LED lightboard. I like this lightboard because it is very skinny and easy to store.
Simply Florals Supply List (1).pdf